How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20299
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was verbally abused, racially slurred and threatened at

Customer Question

I was verbally abused, racially slurred and threatened at my workplace in new York state I went to my director who immediately sent an email to the human resources department I was told any complaint filed is confidential and proceeded with the process another worker in the human resource department found about my complaint went directly to the person I filed the complaint against and told her it was me who filed the complaint since then my life at work has been hell I was afraid to go to work my car was assaulted with condiments everytime I have to go to the ladies room the person and her friends come in make comments I have again reported these events to human resources but nothing changes what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. If your employer has not resolved the issue and you have been retaliated against for filing the complaint with no resolution to that either, then you can go to the next step in a discrimination complaint. That is to file your discrimination complaint with the NYS Division of Human Rights and/or the Federal EEOC. You must file with one of those agencies in order to preserve your case should you later decide to file suit because the agency could not resolve the issue. You can find out more about how to file your complaint with the DHR by going to the following link: agency you file with will attempt to mediate a resolution and if they cannot, they will investigate your allegations and provide you with an opinion and possibly take your case themselves for filing suit if they find it has merit under the discrimination laws. You can also, if you choose, sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss your case in detail to see if they think you should go ahead and file suit after you file your agency complaint instead of waiting for the agency to investigate and resolve it. That will be a decision between you and your attorney. In the meantime, you might want to start writing down a chronology of the facts that support your claim and also keep a running log or journal of any retaliatory action that you continue to experience so that you can share that with the agency and your attorney, should you hire one. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.

Related Employment Law Questions