Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer has cut my part time hours suddenly without any

Customer Question
consideration....
my employer has cut my part time hours suddenly without any consideration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition) or that guarantees you a number of hours per workweek? Do you think the manager who cut your hours had an ulterior motive in cutting the hours, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it has just cause. My contract does say my working hours, 19 hours per week, 2 days and every other weekend.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, need to go.***@******.***
Illinois like most states is an employment at will state - meaning the terms and conditions of your employment may be changed for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision).In your case, if your contract promises a certain number of hours per workweek and does not allow the employer to change that at will, then the employer cannot change those hours. Even if they do not have work for you, they must provide the $ of those hours...otherwise it's a breach of contract. So, where you stand now, you have a claim of breach of contract against this employer for not living up to the contract terms. You could sue them...what most clients would do is find another position then sue them for the balance $ owed.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, sending attachments, please do I have to be with my employer till end of my contract for 1 yr to get tail coverage. If for any reason she let me go or I decide to leave what will be the stauts of my tail coverage.
There are no attachments that I can view here. Additionally, reviewing documents is a premium service for which an additional fee is charged. The answer to your original question has been provided, but if you wish for a premium service of document review please let me know and I'll submit a proposal to you. Thanks.
John, Employment Lawyer