Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

The board of trustees of the western states heat and frost

Customer Question

The board of trustees of the western states heat and frost insulators pension plan say that I must cease working at my bookkeeping job, that Ive been doing for the past 15 years for an insulating company, in order to receive my pension earned as an insulation installer. Can this be true? I know plenty of former insulators working at jobs such as a warehousemen, delivery persons, or other jobs that are not covered by the"plan" but are still "in the industry" who were not required to quit those jobs in order to receive their pensions. What gives?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately they have the discretion to establish rules for the plan and how benefits are to be administrated as long as it is not discriminatory or retaliatory in nature.