Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am receiving ss disability. All parties are aware that I

Customer Question
also work as my medical...
I am receiving ss disability. All parties are aware that I also work as my medical insurance is based on paying 10%. I was informed I could make $1000 or $1400 a month.Work 16 hours a work. a lot of income on check are paid vacation, holidays, etc as I am a nurse in a union. Social security d hasn' t penalized me question is can they for money made not work hours.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/3/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer
With regard to social security disability, one cannot earn more than $1,130 per month (aka substantial gainful activity)for a continued amount of time. There is an exception, because SSA wants everyone to return to work if they can they allow you a trial work period of 9 months to test whether you can do the work. Even if you make more than the $1,130 during this 9 months they won't throw you off benefits. But after that time, they will disqualify you for any month you make more than $1,130. You get this 9 month trial period only once every five years. Vacation and sick pay are not countable toward this. This is literally taken from the SSA operating manual:"If an individual receives sick or vacation pay for non-work days in a particular month, that pay should not be considered countable income for that month. Rather, the question is what work activity did the individual actually perform in the given month and what earnings did the individual actually receive for that work activity. Only the earnings paid as a result of work activity should be used in determining if the individual has engaged in SGA (substantial gainful activity) in a particular month"
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
John, Employment Lawyer