How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13478
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a former employee that is continuing to send emails

Customer Question

I have a former employee that is continuing to send emails to the customers and slander the business that I work for and me personally. I want some advice on how to stop this type behavior.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. Typically in this situation, before resorting to potentially more expensive and time consuming legal measures, I would recommend that you consider having an attorney draft a "cease and desist" letter to the former employee informing them that they must immediately stop the behavior(s) they are engaging in or that they risk protracted and expensive litigation. For many people, getting a letter from a lawyer warning them that they're on the brink of being sued (or at least if they think they are) is enough to get them to stop. Usually this is the quickest way to handle something like this. If you don't believe that will be effective or it isn't effective after it is sent, then your next step would be to file for an injunction with the court. An injunction, as you may already know, is an order from a court telling a party to do something or stop doing something - in this case, to stop emailing customers and you, stop posting about your company, etc.Should you have incurred damages as a result of what is being said, you could also speak to an attorney about filing a lawsuit against this former employee for defamation of character. In order to prove defamation, you'll have to establish that the defendant negligently or intentionally made a false statement or statements, either in writing or verbally, to a third party or parties, resulting in damages to you. Since suits like this can be expensive to bring forward, you'd want to have some significant damages to make it worthwhile.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions about this matter, kindly remember to leave positive feedback, as that is the only way experts are compensated for our time. Thank you.