Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer has asked me to get Fingrrprint checked by Fbi.

Customer Question
The form I'd the same...
My employer has asked me to get Fingrrprint checked by Fbi. The form I'd the same as identity history check on Fbi website which says it is not necessarily for employment use. I wanted to use an Fbi approved channel or but they said it can't be for employment purposes. I don't understand what I am supposed to do.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you.
Customer: I mean my potential employer at a Wisconsin state hospital.
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: It's because i lived and worked abroad for several years beforehand and they said their HR dept requires it because I was out of the USA for more than 3 years. I'm a us citizen born in USA. But I am Muslim so maybe that is another underlying reason. I would be working w children as a doctor at a hospital in WI. I have no criminal record in USA or abroad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is, is it permissible for my future employer to ask for the identity history check? And if so can I use a Fbi approved channelor even though they all say it is not for employment purposes? I am ok w doing it but Fbi takes 14 weeks whereas an Fbi approved channelor can do it in 3 days. Howevr all channelors say they won't do it for employment purposes and even Fbi website said this identity form is not necessarily good for employment. I found a WordPress police clearance site that said w/ a lawyers letter, a channelor will release the identity history to a third party. I also contacted local police dept and they said they can do fingerprints and submit to Fbi electronically. I want to do it the fastest way and legal way. It is for a non profit hospital in WI but they may take federal type insurances like Medicare. Thx.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The identity history check that I have been requested to complete by my future employer (non government hospital) is confusing because it even says on the FBI website that it is not necessarily for employment purposes (and to check w state doj). I tried calling WI doj but no reply. If directly submitted to fbi it could take 4 months. any fbi approved channelor can complete in 3 days but will not do it for employment purposes and will not release to a potential employer. So what am I supposed to do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/25/2016
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello​This is Samuel. Yes, it is legal and required by state and federal law for any employee who will be working with or around children. So they are not requesting you to do anything that they don't have all employees do. I suggest you can contact The Wisconsin Crime Information Bureau. You should be able to go to your local state police barrack and have them take your fingerprints and then submit it to the CIB. Here is that contact information number(###) ###-####
Once you get the prints taken by the State Police nearest you, they should forward to the CIB. The CIB can confirm the process for you.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law