Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

While giving a discipline warning to an employee of mine with

Customer Question
HR present the employee stated...
While giving a discipline warning to an employee of mine with HR present the employee stated to me "Why don't you tell them about all the times you put my life in danger, or all the times you put this whole place in danger." HR asked them if they were threatened me, and they said "no, just stating a fact." HR told them that was a strong accusation to make and what proof did they have. The employee would not answer. HR then said "How do you think that it is alright to sit here and threaten your manager?" The employee said "It is not a threat, just stating a fact." HR asked the employee to sign the discipline warning we were giving them for poor behavior, the employee signed and left. How do I protect myself from this employee and the accusation they made against me? I am a manager of a hospital kitchen and the employee is a cook.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/23/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. All you can do really is have witnesses any time you communicate with him.Make sure you document and report any further encounters with this employee.You hope employer terminates him shortly.Employer may also opt to cut his hours hoping he leaves.This person is an employee at will absent any union or contract and may be terminated for cause at any time.Here there appears to be cause for termination. Making sure you are not alone with this employee and documenting his problems are really the best you can do since employer has not terminated.I hope time is on your side this employee should be terminated, hopefully employer decides to do that shortly. I would tell you also to watch out for your personal safety.These are the kinds of problem employees that are dangerous in the workplace.These are the steps you can take as a manager here to lower your risk. You would also have a civil suit against this person for defamation s he has made untrue statements here to third parties.That is something you can sue for harm to your reputation and employment.You may consider your own lawyer for that. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Lawyer if you want to sue him for defamation here. http://www.lawyers.com/libel,-slander-and-defamation/illinois/find-law-firms-by-city/
Defamation law in Illinoishttp://www.querrey.com/images/LawManual/ch7_D.pdf If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.Thanks again and the best here.
Ray, Employment lawyer