How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we choose to go the "Deauthorize" route, will the union

Customer Question

If we choose to go the "Deauthorize" route, will the union stop our benefits and stop representing us after payments have stopped??? Are there any laws that protect us from this???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please explain so that I am clear. Thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel.A deauthorization election has only one purpose and effect: to remove the forced-unionism clause from the contract. The remainder of the contract, including all wages and benefits, remains in effect and the union continues to serve as the exclusive bargaining representative, whether or not the employees pay any dues or fees. Even after a successful deauthorization, every employee remains fully covered by the contract, whether or not he or she remains a union member or pays any dues.Please see this LINK for more information in this regard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the same result in NY???
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the purpose of the “deauthorization election” is to "deauthorize" the forced-unionism clause and remove it from the contract. However, it is only forprivate sector employees. It will not pertain to state or other public employees. And if that is the case, then you need to go through the Decertification process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a special officer that is my agency's title but I am a peace officer under the NY procedural law and I perform police duties and have police powers. What is your advice on getting the city to apply Local Law 56 to us. We do the similar functions as that of Correction Officers. So under the law we are supposed to have similar contracts as the corrections department, correct???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with forming a PBA??? If so can you explain the procedure???
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I am not familiar with forming a PBA. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked 2 questions but you only answered one. Can you please answer my question about LL56 please.