Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I work private K-12 school in Michigan. They are telling

Customer Question

I work for a private K-12 school in Michigan. They are telling us we have to work for a week in the summer or else we are violating our contract because we aren't doing "what we are being asked to do." They are also tell us we will only be paid a stipend of $100 a day. Are they legally able to do this or, if I say no, will I be reasonably fired?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
What does the actual contract state? If the contract does not state this and the contract calls for summer of, than you cannot be reasonably fired. The school must abide by the terms of the contracts. If the contracts does not speak to this situation, presumably the employer can require its employees to work during the summer months at a legal rate of pay.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract is not as specific (as far as dates of employment during the school year) as that of a public school employee. However, our contract is based on a certain number of paid days (I think 185 days). So, can they require past that amount of days if those days have already been worked and paid?What would be the "legal rate of pay?" Our teacher salaries are broken down into a daily rate. Would that have to be the pay if it's required work?
No, the terms of the contract govern. As for rate of pay, the terms of the contract govern as well. The school appears to be trying to breach the contract.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.