Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If you work hourly and then are sent offshore on a

Customer Question
If you work hourly and...
If you work hourly and then are sent offshore for work on a vessel for a week or more approximately once a month, sometimes more sometimes less. How are they supposed to pay you while on the boat? The few hours worked? Or time on the vessel?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The employer is still supposed to pay you for your hours spent doing the work of the employer. They do not have to pay for sleeping time or meal times or rest periods, just the regular working hours on the vessel. They are not responsible for paying an employee 24/7 when they are out on an offshore assignment, just for the time you are doing the work of the employer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So they do not have to pay you on transit days?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not the companies vessel. The company contracts it for us to go to a offshore location to perform tasks
Thank you for your reply.
Travel to and from the job is not paid time unless it falls within the employee's regular time of work and then the employer pays the employee. Under the FLSA, any portion of authorized travel time that takes place within normal work hours (defined as 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) on any day of the week, including Saturday and Sunday, is treated as work hours. Travel time within normal work hours will be paid at the employee’s regular hourly rate and will be factored into overtime calculations.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney