How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42172
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a production supervisor in Minnesota. My boss requires me to be to work at least 15 m

Customer Question

I am a production supervisor in Minnesota. My boss requires me to be to work at least 15 minutes prior to my shift and I am a salaried employee. Can my employer terminate my employment if I am late( and by late I mean less than 15 minutes prior to the start of my shift)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA Ray here to help you today. You could sue here if you are terminated in such a situation.You would argue that you were timely here and that a termination is not warranted.I wonder if this is subtle means of discrimination.If they are enforcing this against you and not others this is selective enforcement.If you qualify for on of the protected categories, age over 40, race, or sex file a complaint with EEOC. In that situation any adverse action is then retaliation for the filing of such a complaint.If EEOC finds in your favor it would help a civil suit here for damages including wrongful termination. I would strongly consider EEOC claim it offers you the most protection against any adverse personnel action. EEOC you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, you can file a Charge of Discrimination. All of the laws enforced by EEOC, except for the Equal Pay Act, require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with us before you can file a job discrimination lawsuit against your employer. In addition, an individual, organization, or agency may file a charge on behalf of another person in order to protect the aggrieved person's identity.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Employment lawyer if you decide to sue. There appears to be disparate treatment here.Disparate treatment is a way to prove illegal employment discrimination. An employee who makes a disparate treatment claim alleges that he or she was treated differently than other employees who were similarly situated, and that the difference was based on a protected characteristic. I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best.