Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

In California--I'm being asked by employer to sign severance

Customer Question
agreement which states that they...
In California--I'm being asked by employer to sign severance agreement which states that they will not contest claim for unemployment EDD as long as I report "reason for termination as mutual agreement after a change in administration." My question is whether agreeing to this might cause an unemployment EDD request to be denied?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. It could. It's becoming pretty common for employers to stick/hide language in the severance agreements which are then used to prevent unemployment claims.
I've never seen one worded exactly like that but certainly one interpretation that the unemployment office could make would be that you resigned which makes it harder to get benefits.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer