Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law
20355756

I have been at my current job years. I have been fortunate

Customer Question

I have been at my current job for 34 years. I have been fortunate and had very good performance reviews every year. However I am expecting this to change this year with my current boss. I have been in her office more in the last 6 months especially the last 2 months then I ever have in my entire previous 34 years. It has been "picky"little things with increasing intimatation in my perception. What should I should I be doing to protect my self. I have had a very good reputation prior to this situation. I also feel this began after I did an anonymous staff survey in which I did not give my boss a good evaluation. I am an outlyer if she was given that information.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there ---You should begin keeping a written journal of everything that is happening there. Date. time, persons present and what was said. What you are looking for are any comments or insinuations that she does not believe that you can do your job because of your age, sex, race, disability, religion or sexual orientation (generally speaking, wrongful termination cases are based upon discrimination for one of those items -- otherwise unless you are a union member where there is a union contract in place, you are an employee at will and an employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason -- the only reason the employers take the time to come up with a trail of warnings and poor reviews prior to termination is so that they can claim to a court later that it was not your age, or sex, or race (etc) that motivated the termination -- it was poor performance (even if that claim by them is bogus)). There is no such thing as a discrimination case or wrongful termination case due to a bullying supervisor who simply treats people badly because she can do so. If the company lets her get away with it, then the only recourse any employee has is if the underlying reason behind any discrimination is due to age, sex, race, (etc). Because you have been there as long as you have, my guess is that your age is probably an issue and if you have had good reviews and work and then it suddenly starts falling off in your later years with a company, it is usually an indication that they want to let you go because of your age and pay rate at that time. Also be sure to ask for copies of any written warnings and reviews as you go along here as a means to protect yourself. Then, you can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and file a discrimination complaint with the agency -- they will investigate and actually can speak with your employer and other witnesses where you work to come to a decision. Even if they do not come to a conclusion, you will then have a one year protection window at the end of the investigation that the employer cannot terminate you because if they do then there is a presumption that you WERE being discriminated against that the EEOC can then use to pursue the company for wrongful termination (at that point it is for retaliating against you for using your legal rights with the EEOC to get them to investigate the claim of age discrimination). -By keeping the journal the EEOC and any court can use the material as a timeline and it will be largely admissible in court. The EEOC will also use it to investigate situations in your journal that may lead to the conclusion that you are being discriminated against due to your age. -I hope that helps . Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this chat session so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right side of the middle star). THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY