Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I would like some answers to a question about getting terminated

Customer Question
from job....
I would like some answers to a question about getting terminated from job.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. I have a few questions that will help me better assist you today. Can you tell me if you have a contract of employment stating that you can only be terminated for cause? Do you suspect termination based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent medical leave use? What are the circumstances of your situation?
I'm not sure if you saw my questions. I'll attempt to give some information without really knowing your question. If I don't address your concerns, please use REPLY and ask your question. In employment law, if you do not have an employment contract that specifically states you can only be terminated for cause, your employment is then "at will." At will employment can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. They don't have to do right ups, or coaching, or anything like that. The reason doesn't have to be fair or legitimate or even true. So, in that circumstance, the only way for the termination to be illegal is if it meets very specific discriminatory criteria. You have to be able to allege discrimination against who you are, or something you've done. Who you are: race, religion, gender, age, disability.What you've done: FMLA use, worker's comp use, wage and hour complaints, OSHA complaints, unionization activities. If you can't allege one of those, then the termination is going to be legal, regardless of the other surrounding circumstances, 99% of the time.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer