How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 102144
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I won a California labor enforcement pay. The company

Customer Question

I won a California labor enforcement for back pay. The company I sued is in Hillsdale, MI.
I have a judgment from the Superior Court in California. The company's attorney called me and said they would never pay the judgment. Is there away I can collect?
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Yes. Someone in your situation has to domesticate the judgment in MI. This requires a petition in MI Court and two certified copies of the judgment from CA. Once this is done, one can enforce the judgment in MI. The hearing is normally very quick and is back to back with enforcement. Enforcement means: -levying a bank account,-lien on title property, or-attachment and sale of non-exempt property of the business. Since you live in CA, someone in your situation may wish to have an MI attorney domesticate and enforce. Legal attorney fees can be added to the judgment for these steps. So it will take a few more steps, but it is wholly doable. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.