How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19131
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a veteran who is entitled to 10 points veterans preference

Customer Question

Can a veteran who is entitled to 10 points veterans preference apply to an announcement open to "statue nationwide" under merit promotion program use the late applications filling Law. Please see the message below:
Veterans' point preferences under the competitive appointment process do not apply in the merit promotion process. Perkins, 100 M.S.P.R. at 51. Congress has provided, however, that "for all merit promotion announcements . . . veterans . . . are eligible to apply."5 U.S.C. §§ 3304(f)(3)-(4). Veterans "may not be denied the opportunity to compete for vacant positions for which the agency making the announcement will accept applications from individuals outside its own workforce under merit promotion procedures."5 U.S.C. § 3304(f)(1). Congress further provided, however, that the latter provision does not "confer an entitlement to veterans' preference that is not otherwise required by law."5 U.S.C. § 3304(f)(3).
Basically can you file late, but not use the veterans points in merit promotion announcements. Just use the entitlement to file late?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can. See the link below for more information: Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.