Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

We are a medical practice and want to sell our VNG machine.

Customer Question

We are a medical practice and want to sell our VNG machine. All the tests are stored in this computer. We have printed out the individual patient reports, do we need to keep the actual tests for record retention or are the reports enough. We know we have to erase all patient info. before we sell the machine
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I don't know of any laws that require you to keep the original data as stored in the machine. However, if you ever get sued it is a much, much better idea to have the data because then the other side can't effectively allege you tampered with the records.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You will also want to check with your insurance company. Some of the insurance companies do require that you maintain original records for a period of time. That isn't required by law but is a condition of their coverage and so if you fail to maintain the records and they required them then they can deny the claim.