How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement from a previous landlord who has a judgement

Customer Question

I have a judgement from a previous landlord who has a judgement for the remainder of a lease. I am paying $300. monthly, balance 9,300 I am currently employed with a homebuilder who pays draw bi weekly against future commissions, I am currently in the negative, 12,900, which would have to be repaid if I leave the company. I also have a 8,900 tax bill I am paying monthly. Can the landlord place a garnishment on my draw amounts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. The creditor can garnish up to 25% of your draw earnings through garnishment according to the US Department of Labor. So, the answer is unfortunately, yes...the landlord can garnish draw amounts. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. If none, please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Thanks!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in on you to see if you have any other questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!