How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12792
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently terminated due to discrimination. I was hired

Customer Question

I was recently terminated due to discrimination. I was hired by an online school as a part time instructor. I went through 2 months of training with a preceptor and received nothing but positive feedback on performance. I was then placed with another preceptor and after sending her a photo of myself for the welcome powerpoint to students I then began receiving all kinds of negative feedback on everything I did. After only 4 days with this preceptor I was called by the supervisor to say that I was "not a good fit" for their department. The only negative feedback they could give was 2 missed punctuations at the end of a discussion question I posted for the online students. I have taught at 3 other schools and never have I heard of an instructor being terminated because of a forgotten semi-colon. I was never given any correctional action on any prior performance. All past appraisals were awesome until the staff realized I was an African American Male with an advanced degree. How and who should I file this sort of grievance with?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. The first step in this circumstance is to file a complaint with the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission. This is the SC agency that is responsible for investigating complaints of race discrimination in employment, and it is actually a requirement that you file a complaint with them first before proceeding to a lawsuit in civil court. The Human Affairs Commission will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will then enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney. It is typically wise hire an attorney immediately, even before filing your complaint with the Human Affairs Commission, because lawyer will make sure that your complaint is framed properly and that you avoid making statements that could be used against you. See here for the form you need to submit a Human Affairs complaint. See here to locate an attorney in your area who can help. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed aby these communications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I would still file with the South Carolina division even if the employer is located in another state?
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You would typically file with the state agency of the state in which you were performing your work. To avoid any sort of jurisdictional problem, you could file with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which is the agency that enforces FEDERAL race discrimination laws. Those laws apply in all 50 states so there is no potential for a jurisdictional problem if you did that. See here. I hope this helps. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.Very best wishes.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Was there anything else I can do for you here?