Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My name is***** was working with the Lee County Sheriff Of

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** was working with the Lee County Sheriff Office in 2011. That is when I had to get Carpal Tunnel Surgery on both hands. They refused to give me a position that I didn't have to type for 12 hours a day, so at that time I was lucking enough to take a buy out. was then put on disability from then on. My questions are I have Cigna as my secondary ins. and when I pull the inf. up it shows that Cigna also is caring , Disability
Disability Disclosure Authorization Download PDF
Electronic Fund Transfer AuthorizationDownload PDF
Federal Income Tax Withholding RequestDownload PDF
Long-Term DisabilityDownload PDF
Physicians Statement of DisabilityDownload PDF
State Income Tax Withholding Request Download PDF
Re-Employment SolutionsDownload PDF
Verbal Authorization Information Download PDF
Short-Term DisabilityDownload PDF , but when I applied, they tell me they do not have this. Also short term diablity. I feel that I have been short changed and wonder
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you had these plans and were covered at the time of your disability, then you should have been paid if it was a supplemental policy. You would have to sue for breach of contract, but the problem here is that if this happened in 2011, the statute of limitations in FL to sue for breach of contract is 5 years from the date of your injury, so you are getting very close (if you have not exceeded that time). If your injury was less than 5 years ago, then you would need to hurry to file a breach of contract claim against Cigna before the statute of limitations expires.
You would need a local attorney to represent you on this separate breach of contract claim.