Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

About a month before my wife put her 2 week notice in to her

Customer Question
employer that she was leaving...
About a month before my wife put her 2 week notice in to her employer that she was leaving she had 24hrs of PTO and 0 sick leave. After she put her 2 week notice in her employer then said that she owed them money in the amount of 23hrs of PTO AND 22hrs of sick leave. Now I do know that her employer did let her take some hours off of work despite them telling her she didn't have the hours to be with her dad in the hospital. But, we seriously don't believe that it amounted to these amounts her employer claims. In the very next check without sitting down and atleast proving their claim to her she deducted over $500 from her check. Can we demand proof of these hours they claim she owes them by requesting timekeeping records and pay statements? We live in MN and understand that they are or were obligated to pay her the unused PTO hours upon leaving the company. Thanks for any help
Raymond and Tammy Ellison
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/12/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Employer must pay accrued and unpaid wages, benefits, PTO, and other earned days. If employer does not do so, employee may pursue a claim with HR and then escalate through the labor board and court. It is a violation of state law and the federal fair labor standards act. It often is pursued as a class action lawsuit when others also affected. A lawyer may seek additional damages and legal fees too. Best of luck. Kindly rate me positively.
Infolawyer, Lawyer