John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Is it legal to deduct medical premiums from an employees check

Customer Question

Is it legal to deduct medical premiums from an employees check prior to the month the benefits are for? Example deduct in April for health benefits when coverage starts on May 1st?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is legal, namely because there is no tax or benefits law that makes it illegal. Employers have started doing this because employees who would leave or have a break in service would not have enougg wage from which to make a deduction the month subsequent and either the employer would be on the hook for the premium and had to try to recoup it from the employee (who may or may not be returning) or the employee would think they still had coverage where in fact it would have to be retroactively cut because they didn't make the premium payment in the subsequent month.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require furtherassistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question tothe best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledgeand experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.