How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5732
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What recourse do I have if if I believe my former employer

Customer Question

What recourse do I have if if I believe my former employer is not calculating my pension correctly? While I worked for AIG, I remember calculating my future pension in accordance with the plan and they are well over $200 a month lower in what they now calculate, 9 years after I left the company. I have asked 3 times for the figure they are using as my salary average for the calculation and they keep ignoring my requests.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Your claim is covered under a law known as the Employee Retirement Income Security Act which covers all work-based health and retirement plans. You should first request all the plan documents, under ERISA. If they refuse to do this within 30 days, that refusal is a violation of ERISA and a $100 a day penalty; make the demand by certified mail. Then, after examining the plan and reconstructing your pension formula, if you believe the plan has miscalculated the benefits owed, you may administratively appeal the plan's decision in accord with the policy. If it is denied at the administrative appeal, your next and only option for recourse is to file a federal lawsuit against the plan. A few points need to be mentioned you are precluded from offering evidence in federal court if you do not present it at the administrative appeal. Lastly, the issues in these cases involve a complex body of law. Thus, you should consider retaining a local attorney that specializes in ERISA and/or employee pension claims.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied withmy response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require furtherassistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.