Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked College in Poughkeepsie New York two

Customer Question
Hi,I worked for Vassar College...
Hi,I worked for Vassar College in Poughkeepsie New York two times.The first was from March 1974 to March 1982.Human resources told me I was eligible for these which are the years in question.They said I was vested and then they said I wasn't.Then they said I was and all was go.I took the retirement all the while saying that I could only afford to do so if these years counted.After I took it they said I wasn't because the time separating the two was more than ten years.The difference with or without is almost $500.a month.I would get $900. as opposed to $1400.I'm 65 and will have to immediately sell my house which is almost all I have.I'm a plasterer.A big question is, how can they commit on paper and then just say oh we are real sorry but that's how it is.I should add that I took a buy out but have not taken any of the monthly payments
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/8/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
are you asking if you can pursue a claim based on the written commitment?
Tina, Lawyer