How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118218
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I find out about my retirement benefits from a divested

Customer Question

how can I find out about my retirement benefits from a
divested unit from General Motors. Specifically: Delco Products(Rochester)/ITT automotive/Valeo
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to contact the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation, since they are the entity that keeps pension records and also has divested benefits turned over to them. See:
If the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation cannot track the pension down and GM cannot give you the information on the other plan, the only way to do it is to contact ITT Automotive to get to their pension plan administrator to trace the pension. Those are the only ways to track down these private pensions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand. I know I can contact ITT automotive about the pension, indeed I have done so and they referred me back to GM per the original agreement with the sale of the business unit. The is not applicable to this instance since I have not received a letter that the plan was turned over to them.
I have already been charged $5 which is ok to get started and I was willing to pay as much as $50 to get this resolved but not for information I already know. Do you need more information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked for GM Delco Products from 1983 until it was sold to ITT Automotive, at the time I had a little over 10 years and was vested. I was told that part of the agreement was that they would continue to accrue years towards the GM pension and they would take care of that end, later when ITT was sold to Valeo I was informed that the pension would be handled they same as the ITT sale. I left the company in 1998 with over 16 years but my GM pension estimate is showing only the 10 vested with GM.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
PBGC does not have to send you a letter that the plan was turned over to them for them to assist you to track the pension. There is NO CENTRAL DATABASE for these pension plans other than what is turned over to PBGC. So when these employers change and pensions move from one company to the next you have to call the benefits administrator at each company, GM, ITT or Valco to get to their plan administrator to track your pension plan down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do next? just click exit? I really don't want to rate you as "bad" but I am not willing to pay more for this than I already have.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply. I am not an employee of the site, so I have no control over what the site does or charges customers and I am sorry about that and I have not been paid a dime for my time with you as the experts get nothing if positive feedback is left.
Furthermore, I am also sorry that we can only point customers in the direction available to us and we do not have access to information to look up your pension. I do apologize, but you have been given everything that is available for you to look into without engaging a local attorney who would engage a forensic financial investigator who can track down assets that may be lost or hidden.
Just do nothing and do not reply and your question will close. Best wishes to you.