Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I work not-for-profit law firm as an EA to the COO.

Customer Question

I work for a not-for-profit law firm as an EA to the COO. I had my annual review at the end of December. About a month or so ago another EA sent me a text asking if I liked working with the company and some other things. Then later she pulled me to the side saying that the EA to the President came to her and told her that one of the other individuals I worked for had given me a bad review and told her some of the things that were on my review. I just want to know what recourse if any do I have and should I say something to my boss about this incident. I am starting to feel very uncomfortable about the whole situation and I don't appreciate her telling confidential information to someone else...especially someone that has nothing to do with the situation.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please understand that reviews at work are not like a court of law. There is no "right to face" the accusing party, no right to appeal, etc. Unless the company has such avenues in place (and most do not), changing a review is solely at the discretion of the company. Someone in your situation has every right to challenge the review if they want to - either via the administrative process (if one exists) or simply by talking to one's manager, supervisor, or the COO. However it would still be at their discretion to change anything. They can agree to do so, ignore the request, or, kick it back down with a note to "re-do" the matter. So the recourse is limited. Someone in your situation does however have a right to ask for this to be looked at again, but then the company has absolute discretion whether or not to do so.Good luck. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!