How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 57310
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a cleric in our worship center who is an independent

Customer Question

We have a cleric in our worship center who is an independent contractor. Can we pay him housing allowance which can be tax exempt for him? How do we report compensation and housing in 1099-MISC? Or do we need to hire him as an employee and give compensation and housing allowance separately?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
The 1099 would not reflect housing. He may reference on his 1040. He should be treated as an employee if has set hours and employer has control - as opposed to a free lance contractor. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.