Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I'm in Michigan where I was involved in a Facebook dispute

Customer Question
regarding an employee criticizing our...
I'm in Michigan where I was involved in a Facebook dispute regarding an employee criticizing our school district where I retired from and she is currently suing. Her husband went on Facebook and put listed very personal information about me, some true, some not that he could have only gotten from my ex husband, and information that could only have come from my personnel files. What is my options? I've always been well respected in my district
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you . You may be able to sue for defamation and invasion of your privacy.Both this person and your ex are liable.If there are untrue facts put out for third parties this is defamation.If this is private information it is an invasion of your privacy. You will need local lawyer to send cease and desist letters and may sue as well.Certainly you have been harmed here and your reputation injured.You may seek damages here for all of this including mental anguish. I am so sorry you have had this happen I hope you will pursue this. You want a defamation lawyer and invasion of personal privacy. Michigan Grand Rapids Bar Association LRISGrand Rapids, MI Phone:(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####ounties Served: Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon and AlleganMeets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral Genesee County Bar Association LRSFlint, MI Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Genesee Macomb County Bar AssociationMt Clemens, MI Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Macomb, St. Clair Oakland County LRSBloomfield Hills, MI Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Oakland State Bar of Michigan LRISLansing, MI Phone:(###) ###-####oll free:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Statewide Washtenaw County Bar Association LRISAnn Arbor, MI Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Washtenaw, Lenawee, Livingston and Monroe
Defamation in Michigan is defined as causing harm to a person or business’ reputation by words communicated to a third party that are meant to degrade, humiliate, incite hatred or contempt toward a person or business.In short, the offended party must prove a defamatory statement was made within one year of when the statement was made, why it is false, and if the statement is defamatory and the plaintiff seeks damages based on the per se or pro quod standards.
Invasion of privacy in Michigan is the intrusion into the personal life of another, without just cause, which can give the person whose privacy has been invaded a right to bring a lawsuit for damages against the person or entity that intruded. It encompasses workplace monitoring, Internet privacy, data collection, and other means of disseminating private information.Your situation would fall under this as well.
Ray, Employment lawyer