How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12798
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it considered extortion if a person you were having

Customer Question

Is it considered extortion if a person you were having sexual relations with knows unfavorable information about you and threatens to tell your employer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is not an employment law question
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Texas law defines extortion as the act of gaining money or property through threat of violence, force, harm to reputation, property damage or unfavorable government action. Threatening to tell "unfavorable" information about someone to one's employer could be construed as a threat to harm one's reputation, and doing so in order to reap the financial benefit of having one's light bill paid could be construed as the act of gaining money or property. Thus, this all arguably meets the definition of extorsion. Therefore, it can be reported to the local police for investigation and potential prosecution. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, whole story. I met this guy on POF and started dating him in July 2015. He conned me basically in so many ways which i did not start to see until his roommate and i met up after he got arrested for unpaid traffic warrants the week of Thanksgiving. Basically i let him borrow my gun to secure a payment from his uncle, grandma, or step father for his rent for November. ($280) After i broke up with him he used my debit card to pay his light bill ($25). When i texted his roommate and him how very unhappy i was and that i should call the cops, he started threatening me. I have been trying to get my gun back from him for months now and have sent certified letters to his family. Before doing so, I told him I would do that and he threatened to ruin my career by telling my employers about my personal life. I'm scared of him and am at my wits end.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry to hear about all this. If this man has your personal property and won't give it back, you can report it to the police as a theft. This would be in addition to the extortion claim. You can also sue in small claims court for the replacement value of the gun. These would be your legal remedies under the circumstances you describe. I hope this helps. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the police station today and an officer told me that the most i can do is get it in civil court. He told me that based on the information i provided, there was no harassment. He seemed unconcerned about the guy's use of my debit card nor the statements he made about informing my employers. He said i could get into trouble since i knowing gave someone my 9mm. I am so very distraught over this.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it's always up to the police whether to pursue a criminal investigation. The officer was correct that your remedies lie in civil court. You can sue for the gun and the unauthorized use of your debit card. I wish you luck in resolving this situation. Kind regards, Patrick