Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I filed a complaint against my boss (city of Philadelphia HR

Customer Question
Manager) in 2008 and...
I filed a complaint against my boss (city of Philadelphia HR Manager) in 2008 and Won. Now, I keep getting passed over for promotions in my office to employees with less work experience. My boss also will not do performance reports on me so I can advance. I am a black female, and he just hired a white man in Oct 2015. and he is now promoting him over me again. I have 33 years with the city of Philadelphia and I have been working in this office since 2007.
White guy comes and 6mos later he get the promotion. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
4/1/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Before we get into the details I need to go over a few things. First, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works. Many times in employment law situations the law is not in favor of the employee or is not what the employee believes it is. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor. On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that. Next, questions like "do I have a case" are almost impossible to answer because they are so general. I can tell you what will decide whether or not you win your case and what steps you can take to increase your chances, but I can't actually answer one like "do I have a case". With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes
Great.In addition to getting passed over for promotions, were you harassed or discriminated against in any other ways? Also, what was the complaint about?
Tina, Lawyer