Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I feel i was descriminated against at Bellair Bus company.

Customer Question
What should my course of...
I feel i was descriminated against at Bellair Bus company. What should my course of action be? Clearest case of descrimination if there ever was. Not hired because of a statement i made about my former Boss at a trucking Co. I was jerked around lied to, they knew by my voice i was black, only my presistence calling, got me an interview and driveing test.She knew she wasnt gonna hire me, and resorted to lying, and avoideing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/30/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have actual evidence that you were denied the job based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin? You will need actual evidence more than just your feeling in order to take the next step.
What was the statement you made to your boss?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she asked about my work history after Schuck trucking, she said u were with him a long time, the others not so long. I told her i probabely would b still there if he had not died. i went on to tell her about Kenny Schuck, i commented he would ask us to pull oversized loads without a permit to keep us from sitting, and would fax it to us along the way. she said because i did that once, i was disqualified from driveing for Bellair. I never said i actually pulled a load, just that he would ask. I could make claim she is lying if she protray Bellair as a perfect company. Trucking and Motorcoach, tow different things.
Thank you for your reply.
Employment in WA is deemed at will, which means the employer can choose who to hire or not hire for any reason at all or for no reason EXCEPT based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. If they are refusing to hire you because they believe you allegedly may have at some time pulled a load without proper permits, that is reason that is not illegal under at will employment laws
You would need to get evidence that this was merely an excuse and that the real reason for not hiring you was your race (or age/sex/disability/national origin), then this would be illegal and grounds for you to take the next step of filing a complaint with the EEOC, which has to actually investigate and give you a right to sue letter and then you could proceed to court against the employer. But the EEOC is going to require some evidence on your part that it was truly your race/sex/age/disability/national origin and no other reason, since both the EEOC and the courts need to that evidence to find in your favor.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney