How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was paid on a 1099, but I was an employee. I want them to

Customer Question

I was paid on a 1099, but I was an employee. I want them to pay my taxes and I want to make sure that I can do that.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO not yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was hired by a company and I worked 9 to 5:30 everyday. I had a 90 day probation period, which I passed. I was paid as a 1099 employee.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Then I was fired. I feel that they should pay my taxes.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You have the ability to file a Form SS-8, which lets the IRS know that you are disputing your employer's classification of you as an independent contractor. If you are correct, your employer will be required to issue a W-2 and pay your social security taxes. Please be aware that if they did not take any federal or state withholding from your paychecks, you will still be responsible for insuring that any income taxes due are paid.

It takes time to get a determination. You have a few options. You can file for an extension, however, if it turns out that you have taxes due, you'll have to pay interest on that money. It is possible to make an estimated payment when you file for an extension, and you could try trying to figure out how much you might owe before doing that. Here is the IRS form. You will also have to file for an extension with your state's taxing authority.

Another option is to file a return as a 1099 employee, pay any taxes due, then submit an amended return to get a refund if the IRS investigation comes out in your favor.

Also, you can file a form 8919 to let Social Security know that you've been working, which helps ensure you get credit on your record for payments that your employer should have made while you were working for them.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.