How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12363
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aon has been told he is part of a reduction of force at s

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my aon has been told he is part of a reduction of force at his company. They said they will show him the severance agreement a couple of days before he has to sign it. he is not yet 40. several others are being terminated in his unit as well. is the time appropriate?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since this is a rif affecting several employees all under 40 can the employer only give a couple of days to review and/pr negotiate a severance agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pl answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is going on? i paid for this answer. now answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. Thanks for your patience while I was assisting other customers.

The employer must follow any employment agreement that it entered into with the employees. Accordingly, if there is an employment agreement which states that a specific amount of time must be given to negotiate severance agreements, then the employer must abide by it. The employees could sue the employer if the employment agreement is ignored.

However, if there is no employment agreement, then the employer doesn't have to provide any particular amount of time to negotiate severance agreements. In fact, the law does not even require the employer to provide severance agreements. Accordingly, in that situation where there is no employment agreement covering this scenario, I'd take whatever I could get from the employer if I were in your son's shoes.

So, the bot***** *****ne is that your son's recourse depends upon the specific facts in this case, such as whether there is an employment agreement that covers this scenario.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!