How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2183
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I was red (at a nonprofit) it was stated that I would

Customer Question

When I was hired (at a nonprofit) it was stated that I would work for up to five days for an hourly rate, and once hired, be moved to a salaried rate. After the fourth day, I was hired full time. The founder said she would discuss salary with me when she had a chance... she never had time. One week later, I was given a paycheck with no stub. It did not seem accurate, as it appeared I was working for less than minimum wage (for two weeks) when overtime was considered. I asked for a pay stub, and was told I could not get one, as they had paid me via company check. A little over a week later, I quit. I immediately asked again for a pay stub for the first two weeks, and confirmation of my salary for the next week. I was told I was salaried (via email from the founder and her personal assistant) at $600 a week. I responded that that was fine, and included the info that I was also still due overtime, as in CA, you must make twice the minimum wage (among other things) to be exempt from overtime. They are now stating that I was minimum wage hourly the entire time. Must they pay me the salaried overtime?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
I think you have a strong basis for the unpaid amounts. You relied on their representations and they refuse to honor them. Here is an overview on how to recoup your money.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
They should be able to assist you as it is a public service.