Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Employer withheld federal taxes but those taxes did not show

Customer Question
up on my federal wage...
employer withheld federal taxes but those taxes did not show up on my federal wage and tax statement. The item was reported as Zero. I tried contacting the employer and they won't respond to me. I have a copy of the 1099 misc that was given to me. But this tells me that the company did not pay the withheld taxes to the IRS or at least not in my name. What agency do I contact to report them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/29/2016
Employment Lawyer: RONB-ESQ, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You say 1099-Misc above is that what you meant or did you mean to say W-2? A W-2 is used for employees and a 1099 is typically used for contractor or contract employees among other things. If you could answer this question I could more accurately provide an answer to your question.

Regards,

I am logging off for the evening, but I will be back online around 2:30 PM CST tomorrow and will respond once you have answered the question I posed above. Please reply here and I will respond once I am back online.

Regards,

Tina, Lawyer