How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Public transportation company in Michigan wrongfully

Customer Question

Public transportation company in Michigan wrongfully terminated my employment, I contacted the EEOC the next day. Nearly a month later I was reinstated to my job with half pay. After the company was contacted by the EEOC, they tried to force me to sign a waiver to sue for any reason including my ADHD condition. When I refused to sign I was suspended and sent home. I feel as if they are retaliating against me for filing a charge concerning my mental condition. Do they have a right to make me sign without providing a copy for an attorney to see?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

NO, they cannot force you to sign a release without having your attorney review it. Your concerns about retaliation may be spot on. Even this suspension is putting you under duress so that forcing you to sign a release or lose your job is not enforceable. You should not have to be subjugated to this type of hostile conduct. You should explore retaining a local employment law attorney about possibly pursuing a lawsuit against this company. You should not have to have pay reduced either.