Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work nursing home in Georgia.. I was wondering if a job

Customer Question
Hi, I work for a...
Hi, I work for a nursing home in Georgia.. I was wondering if a job can fire you on hearsay..y CO worker told the administrator that I quit she sent in a termination form without asking me or no witness's.. Just his word.. Then asked me and I told her no I didn't say that..but she say he told her.. I never told him I quit... I'm still waiting to see if o have a job it's been almost 2weeks now ..can I also get lost wages for this
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes I also hurt my back on the same job ..which gives me problems to this very day..
JA: Our top Employment Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Employment Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Employment Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Legally speaking, yes, an employer can fire over hearsay such as this. You see, Georgia is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

As such, there wouldn't be a case for illegal termination as this was not illegal. Immoral, unethical, illogical, certainly. But not illegal. And because it's not illegal, you wouldn't have a case for lost wages. Now you should still qualify for unemployment as it was nothing that you did that caused this, but nothing that would compel them to give you job back or the wages that you lost. If they do so anyway, that would be out of no legal duty to do so.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer