How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33564
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can potential employer contact my current employer without

Customer Question

Can potential employer contact my current employer without my knowledge for a potential offer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

There is absolutely no law, statutory or case law, that prevents an employer from contacting a current employer. The only law that applies would be that the employers can't discuss your medical issues without your specific permission.

There is even a specific law in NC stating that no lawsuit is possible regarding disclosure of information unless it is proven that the disclosed information was false and known to be false.

That statute is the Job Reference law at N.C.G.S. §1-539.12.

The NC Department of Labor has a page on their website with general information about this topic at

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If medical information was disclosed without your permission then you can report the employer to the Attorney General or the federal Department of Health and human Services.