RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have been offered a job I cant pass up. it is a competitor

Customer Question

i have been offered a job I cant pass up. it is a competitor but selling a different product line that they already compete against. As long as I don't take any paperwork and give a notice, can they come after me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me, did you sign any type of non-compete agreement or trade secrets agreement? Did you sign anything regarding proprietary information with your current employer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, nothing like that.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

There's nothing that says you can't leave your employer and go work for a competitor. Employees can use general skills, knowledge and experience for a new employer, but not previous employer's confidential information. Colorado does have a trade secrets act, and trade secrets can be considered intellectual property. Courts can protect trade secrets by enjoining misappropriation (in other words, entering an injunction prohibiting their use), ordering parties that have misappropriated a trade secret to take steps to maintain its secrecy, as well as ordering payment of a royalty to the owner. Courts can also award damages, court costs, and reasonable attorneys' fees.

So long as you don't reveal the secrets and confidential information of your previous employer, you should be fine.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.