Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was fired from a job for (padding time) on my time sheet.

Customer Question
I was the clinical nurse...
I was fired from a job for (padding time) on my time sheet. I was the clinical nurse manager for a start up company. I readied an office down to the paper clips. My employer told me repeatedly to (do whatever you need to do). I had numerous outings shopping, business meetings etc. which were out of the clinic. There is no time clock, but there was an alarm that had to be turned off & on. This employer is suing me for $15,000.00, saying I padded time for that amount. This is over an 18 month time period. We have no contract stating any rules, everything was verbal. Employer is going by alarm clock records. I only worked between 60 to 70 hours per two wk period. She sent me a legal letter saying pay it and she would not file charges. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/18/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The employer would have to prove this by more than their alarm records if you were doing work outside of the office not just all work inside the office. You need to send a response informing them that you did not do all of your work inside of the building as you were required to work at matters that required you to be off site, such as shopping for supplies or attending meetings and none of those activities would be logged in by the alarm system since they did not occur in the premises. Tell them you are sorry if they are having such financial problems, but blaming you and trying to get money from you when you did all of the work necessary to get them set up is not going to work and they have no evidence that this work was not done off site so their alarm records are not valid evidence proving hours you worked.
If they want to continue this, you would need an attorney to defend yourself and you will have to present some type of evidence of what you would do off site for work that you charged your employer for.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney