How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5687
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am preparing to go to the EEOC to file a claim termination

Customer Question

I am preparing to go to the EEOC to file a claim for wrongful termination and retaliation, I it best to seek an attorney to go with with or represent me? I read it an issue is left out of the initial claim it could not be admitted later? I was fired December 17 for my place of employment, Sephora in Georgetown, I had been a manager there for 8 1/2 years. I had my work performance review in June 2015, I did not agree with it, I told the persons who performed my review that it was bogus, false, and misleading and I would not accept it. This went back and forth and I was told by one of the reviewers that "I could try to take it further, but it would only hurt my career". I contacted human resources and we have been going back and forth ever since that is until December 17. I had been in continuous contact with human resources, there were issues about my position and my pay increase. In December my work schedule was changed, this caused yet another issue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

What you read was wrong, EEOC charges are amendable to until the conclusion of their investigation. You generally only need to allege a basic factual scenario that indicates why you believe you were discriminated against on account of your age, race, gender, disability or religion (or any combination of these) to make a valid EEOC complaint. The Agency then contacts the employer and has them submit a position statement as to their side of the story. They often also request documents and to speak with management or others at the employer that may be material witnesses to the discrimination. You don't really need an attorney for any of this, but many people do retain one anyway I think because they feel more comfortable that way.