Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I started at Pentax when I was 17, in 1977. Drinking was

Customer Question

I started at Pentax when I was 17, in 1977. Drinking was encouraged and I became an alcoholic. I tried my best to get sober and was sober for 8 years. Ricoh bought out Pentax and they (little by little) got all the original workers to leave. I was a dedicate worker until 2013, when they wanted me to stay at the office and work while they went on their sales meeting in Vail. I had my "big" 3 day vacation planned a year in advance and I was told they needed me to stay at the office. I worked there for 36 years and I got depressed and finally fell off the wagon. After 36 years, just asking for unemployment, so I could get a job (I'm not lazy!), they denied it. I don't want to blame anyone for something I screwed up on, but they didn't help with anything at all. Needless to say, they have no original Pentax employees there. I gave my all for that company.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation.

Unemployment is not "automatic." To qualify for unemployment, one must show:

-the termination was due to a layoff or downsizing

-the termination was not due to "gross misconduct" such as theft, for example

-you did not quit, but if you did, one can still qualify for unemployment if the quitting was for a good reason such as violence, personal harassment, dangerous working conditions, or a medical matter.

Perhaps one can appeal their claim and keeping the above in mind, may have a better shot at receiving unemployment benefits. Your struggles with alcoholism actually do not apply unless they somehow factor into quitting/being fired.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.