How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we believe an employee embezzled $525 from the til at the

Customer Question

if we believe an employee embezzled $525 from the til at the end of the day what are our options to retrieve it and or prosecute?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have given him the chance to return the money, your next step is you should call the police for investigation. Second, you should terminate the employee and then you can file a civil suit against him in small claims court for the money and costs of having to sue him for the money and you can sue in small claims without an attorney.
If you choose not to get the police involved, you can still sue the employee for the money in civil court without police action, since the burden of proof in small claims or civil court is less than the burden of proof in criminal court and you have to only prove he took the money by a preponderance of the evidence whereas in criminal court you have to prove he took the money beyond a reasonable doubt.

Related Employment Law Questions