Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was a doctor at a large clinic. I left my job 1 year ago

Customer Question

I was a doctor at a large clinic. I left my job 1 year ago for personal reasons. I have been in discussions with this clinic to come back. However, the deal fell apart because I heard from others there that former manager is says not true things about my job performance. I was at this clinic for 5 years and always got outstanding job performance reviews. We have yearly review of job performance which is based on surveys from patients and other co workers. I did very good all 5 years. In fact I was named clinic director for the last 2 years I was there. This manager is now spreading untrue information about me. Is there anything I can do? I feel that some of this manager is racially
Motivated as she has made somewhat questionable statements about me and other non white co doctors.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can actually sue the manager for defamation for making known false statements about you to others, which is now causing you to lose income. A person cannot make statements that they know to be false about you to third parties, that is called Defamation and it can also be the common law tort of false light if her comments are portraying you in a false way to your community.
In addition, if the statements are motivated based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then this too would be another basis for you to file a complaint with the EEOC in addition to filing your civil suit against them for discrimination.
Those are your options for this type of situation if you have the evidence she is doing this.