Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am applying New Jersey master HVACR license and they have

Customer Question
I am applying for a...
I am applying for a New Jersey master HVACR license and they have a requirement that I need 4 years of work experience approved by the department of labor. I have been practicing HVACR for very big companies on the books for the last 8 years. Is there a way to get my work experience approved by the department of labor?is it already?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/12/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to present your evidence to the department of labor with the names of the companies you worked for and type of work you performed and they do have the right to evaluate that and approve your employment. It is up to you to describe the type of work and type of company and get it into DOL for their review and approval.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. I understand but shouldn't any type of employment that you can provide a W2 for be approved from the department of Labor? They don't have a specific department for every trade and field. So how could they ever really know what one does unless they see a W2 that shows that person was employed for a period of time for that company. I thought the Department of Labor's only concern was to make sure that person was on the books and paying taxes?
Thank you for your reply.
Not "any type of employment" as the DOL has to evaluate what that employment was. If you worked for a company where you did not get the requisite experience, then they will not approve it. The DOL's only concern in this type of situation is NOT that you were only on the books and paying taxes, you misunderstand. They have many functions including licensing issues and when it comes to licensing they have people who handle multiple industries, but they are able to check with your employer to find out what type of work you did for the company and whether or not you actually did HVAC work or if you were a secretary for the company.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney