Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have a student who said they were in the ER and brought me

Customer Question

I have a student who said they were in the ER and brought me a discharge paper. If I were to call the ER to confirm that she was intact there that day will they give me that information
JA: OK. The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Employment Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No, they will not provide that information because doing so would be a HIPAA violation. Such request also potentially exposes you to a claim for invasion of privacy. However, you can insist that the student provide a note from the hospital certifying that they were in fact in the ER. You can even then call the hospital to confirm the authenticity of the note.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.