Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there any chance to win a case against your boss in

Customer Question
Hello. Is there any...

Hello. Is there any chance to win a case against your boss in Singapore (violation of company policy on employee's ratings) with documented and recorded proofs?

Lawyer's Assistant: No, I am an American.

Ok, sorry and tnx

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not officially yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

The boss didn't follow the company's policy on rating employees. He used the top-bottom approach without a factual dialogue with line managers under him

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?

Nothing else

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2016
Employment Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there --

-

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you anything about employment law in Singapore. Even if you are a US citizen and even if the company is US owned, because the location you are at in Singapore means that the employment laws in Singapore apply unless you have a written contract with the company that sets out the terms of your foreign employment and sets out the applicable state law that is to be used in the event of a dispute. If you do not have such a contract, then the law of Singapore applies and I honestly cannot tell you what your recourse would be, if any, under Singapore law. What I CAN tell you is that even in the United States, the employers generally hold all of the cards and unless you have a written employment contract or you are a union member, then you are what is called an "employee at will" meaning that you can be written up, demoted or terminated for any reason or for no reason at all. Arguably, if there is a company policy in writing that an employer is violating and you can prove it, then you can hire an attorney and sue the company for their actions of violating their own employment guidelines -- but that is in the US.

-

MARY

Hello. Since I wasn't informed that lawyer can't help me on Singapore law question I would appreciate if I get a full refund according to Justanswer 30 days policy. Best regards

You have to contact customer service. I have nothing to do with the refund system.

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer