Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Indiana. I have recently left my job at a dental…

Customer Question
Hello. I live in...
Hello. I live in Indiana. I have recently left my job at a dental lab. I was paid weekly for signing a non-compete contract. I cannot work for another dental lab within 100 miles for 1 year. Indiana has the Right to Work Law and I didn't know if that would affect this contract. We were not in any type of union. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

"Right to work" laws are something that most people misunderstand. Such laws simply make union membership non-compulsory. In other words, employees have a "right to work" without being forced to join a union. It has nothing to do with a right to generally be employed and does not have any application to your situation.

In Indiana non-compete agreements may be enforced by the employer so long as they are reasonable with regard to time and geographical area. An agreement prohibiting competition for 1 year within 100 miles would almost certainly meet this definition of reasonable. So, I'm afraid there is probably nothing that an individual in your circumstance can do to avoid your non-compete obligations

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Are you still with me?