Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Friday was our payday, my boss, owner of the business

Customer Question
informed me he didn't have...
Friday was our payday, my boss, owner of the business informed me he didn't have the money to cover payroll for all of us, 2 employees got paid, I did not. I'd like to know what I can do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2016
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

You have a couple options here. You can file a small claims court action against the employer for breach of contract or you can contact the OR Bureau of Labor and file a "wage and hour" complaint. They will assign an investigator to contact the employer about this and can put pressure on them to pay.

.

Link: OR Bureau of Labor

.

If you go the small claims court route, you would have to go down to the local courthouse and get the summons and complaint forms from the clerk and file them against the employer. Then you would appear on the court date and basically tell your story and get a judgment.

.

But if you filed a wage and hour complaint or file suit, then it is likely that the employer will do what they need to do to get you paid rather than be dragged into court or be investigated.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer