Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been employed as a compensated non-employee years and…

Customer Question
I have been employed as...
I have been employed as a compensated non-employee for 7 years and was terminated without notice on January 27, 2016 and have not been paid for my services since October, 2015. Can I enlist the help of the Dept. of Labor to collect what is owed to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What do you mean a "compensated non-employee" do you mean an independent contractor?
Thank you for your reply.
The Department of Labor handles employer/employee matters, not independent contractor issues. If the company owes you money, you are going to handle this as a breach of contract suit in the superior court or small claims court if the amount due is under $10,000. You have to file suit against them for breach for the money not paid and also if you believe they improperly terminated the contract that would be another cause of breach and you could seek damages for the amount you lost from the contract termination.